Christ My Song - 106
Jesus, thy Church, with longing eyes - Second Coming of Christ
(William Hiley Bathurst/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
Second Coming of Christ.
1. Jesus, thy Church, with longing eyes,
for thy expected coming waits;
when will the promised light arise,
and glory beam from Zion's gates?
2. E'en now, when tempests round us fall,
and wintry clouds o'ercast the sky,
thy words with pleasure we recall,
and deem that our redemption's nigh.
3. Come, gracious Lord, our hearts renew,
our foes repel, our wrongs redress;
man's rooted enmity subdue,
and crown thy gospel with success.
4. O come and reign o'er every land,
let Satan from his throne be hurled,
all nations bow to thy command,
and grace revive a dying world.
5. Yes, thou wilt speedily appear;
the smitten earth already reels;
and not far off we seem to hear
the thunder of thy chariot wheels.
6. Teach us, in watchfulness and prayer,
to wait for the appointed hour,
and fit us by thy grace to share
the triumphs of thy conquering power.
William Hiley Bathurst, in: Rogers, Charles, Lyra Britannica, 1867, 41-42.