Christ My Song - 1115
Oh Saviour, whom this holy morn - Christmas Day
(Reginald Heber/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
1. Oh Saviour, whom this holy morn,
gave to our world below;
to mortal want and labour born,
and more than mortal woe!
2. Incarnate Word! by every grief,
by each temptation tried,
who lived to yield our ills relief,
and to redeem us died!
3. If gaily clothed and proudly fed
in dangerous wealth we dwell;
remind us of thy manger bed
and lowly cottage cell!
4. If pressed by poverty severe,
in envious want we pine,
oh may the Spirit whisper near,
how poor a lot was thine!
5. Through fickle fortune's various scene
from sin preserve us free!
Like us thou hast a mourner been,
may we rejoice with thee!
Reginald Heber, Heber's Hymns, 1870, 8-9.