Christ My Song - 1282
Broken was his body; broken
(Thomas Kelly/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
Broken was his body.
"This is my body, which is broken for you."
(1 Corinthians 11,24)
1. Broken was his body; broken
for his people's sake it was.
Hear we, for the word has spoken,
love the motive, sin the cause.
2. Shed his blood was; shed for those who
to the shepherd's fold belong.
Good the Lord is, and he knows who
trust in him, and he is strong.
3. He is able to take care of
those who put their trust in him.
This his people are aware of:
and their portion happy deem.
4. What he lives on, from above is:
this it is that makes us glad.
And our hope the fruit of love is:
love that no beginning had.
5. Love we sing of, everlasting:
all our good we trace to this,
never changing, never wasting,
for the love of God it is.
6. Sing of love, then, sing for ever;
'tis the theme all themes above:
ever new, it wearies never:
sing of everlasting love.
Thomas Kelly, Hymns on various passages of Scripture, ca. 1853, Hymn 492.