Christ My Song - 1399
'Tis a blessed thing to know
(Thomas Kelly/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
'Tis a blessed thing to know.
"This is life eternal, that they might know thee." (John 17,3)
1. 'Tis a blessed thing to know
him from whom all good proceeds;
blessed at his throne to bow,
blessed to rehearse his deeds.
2. Deeds of power and deeds of grace,
deeds of wonder and of love;
his "the high and holy place",
his a throne all thrones above.
3. Saviour, who is like to thee?
As thou doest who can do?
Meet it is that we should be
full of love and wonder too.
4. Much we owe thee, but how much,
who can tell, or who can know?
Sinners bought with blood, as such,
at thy feet behold we bow.
5. Hadst thou in that fearful day
when "in agony" thou wast,
hadst thou put the cup away,
all was lost, for ever lost.
6. But thy purpose was to save,
all must be endured for this;
hence the cross, and hence the grave,
O that love! how great it is!
7. Saviour, help us to take up,
and to bear the cross for thee;
thou for us didst drain the cup,
thine our hearts, our homage be.
Thomas Kelly, Hymns on various passages of Scripture, ca. 1853, Hymn 424.