Christ My Song - 1416
'Twas he who made the world that said
(Thomas Kelly/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
'Twas he who made the world that said.
"The Son of Man hath not where to lay his head."
1. 'Twas he who made the world that said,
he had not where to lay his head;
the earth could not a place afford
to earth and heav'n's eternal Lord.
2. Wherever Jesus moved, he found
that every place was hostile ground;
the earth was occupied by those
who gloried in the name of foes.
3. No rest had he from pain and strife,
a life of suffering was his life;
nor did the Saviour find repose,
till life itself had reached a close.
4. In victory he found repose,
in death he vanquished all his foes;
he grasped the pillars of their pow'r,
and all their glory sunk that hour.
5. The battle 's fought, the day is won,
the conflict 's past, the work is done;
and now he reaps the fruit of toil,
the glory his, and his the spoil.
6. A little while, and he shall come,
who could not find on earth a home;
to their great joy he shall appear,
who, like himself, are strangers here.
7. Both heaven and earth shall pass away,
their doom is fixed for that great day;
but all his saints shall then be blessed,
and gain an everlasting rest.
Thomas Kelly, Hymns on various passages of Scripture, ca. 1853, Hymn 652.