Christ My Song - 1417
In him, whose presence gladdens heaven
(Thomas Kelly/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
In him, whose presence gladdens heaven.
"Rejoice in the Lord." (Philippians 3,1)
1. In him, whose presence gladdens heav'n,
we do and will rejoice;
and blessed are they to whom 'tis giv'n
to hear and know his voice!
2. Against the Lord we once bore arms,
his mercy we opposed;
the charmer's voice had then no charms,
for then our ears were closed.
3. He might have left us to endure
the wrath we seemed to brave;
our case would then admit no cure,
for who but he could save?
4. But though resisted long, he strove,
his purpose was to save;
he showed the greatness of his love,
and, though provoked, forgave.
5. Then let us sing of grace alone,
and magnify the name
of him who sits upon the throne,
and join to praise the Lamb.
Thomas Kelly, Hymns on various passages of Scripture, ca. 1853, Hymn 655.