Christ My Song - 1738
Rejoice, ye saints! – your fears be gone! - Ascension of Christ
(Johann Samuel Diterich/Henry Mills/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
Ascension of Christ
1. Rejoice, ye saints! – your fears be gone!
your Lord ascends to take his throne, –
he conquers! – with triumphant voice,
proclaim his vict'ry and rejoice!
2. His conflict here is finished now,
death is disarmed, a vanquished foe, –
peace to the world from God is giv'n,
and he with glory crowned in heav'n.
3. Now all abroad, and to the sky,
extol his pow'r and majesty;
the seraphim resound his praise, –
to him your highest anthems raise!
4. All nations are his purchased right,
his sceptre rules with grace and might,
will ever rule, till at his feet
all foes shall to his pow'r submit.
5. In ev'ry strait he is at hand,
the guardian of his faithful band;
he is their Head: – your honours bring,
and let the skies with echo ring!
6. Jesus, accept our honours due!
while we, with praise and rapture, view
the glories of the heav'nly throne,
to which thy God exalts his Son.
7. In thee our store of blessings lies,
and faith in thee secures the prize
so dearly purchased, with thy blood,
for all who seek a pard'ning God.
8. What should we fear? thou art our Lord,
thy pow'r and skill shall be our guard,
thy grace, all needed mercies grant,
thy fullness, meet our every want.
9. We joy, – in hope, when life shall end,
eternal life with thee to spend;
on earth our pilgrim-service done,
to serve with angels round thy throne.
10. O draw us to thee more and more,
that upward our desires may soar,
and seek the things that are above,
where sits the Saviour whom we love.
11. And may thy throne of glory there
so sink all earthly joy and care,
that, from a life of faith below,
we may ascend to glory too.
12. Then will we, O thou sinners' friend,
with nobler pow'rs thy fame extend;
and, to thy praise, new songs employ
in regions of eternal joy.