Christ My Song - 1907
Jesus, the Shepherd of the sheep
(Thomas Kelly/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
Jesus, the Shepherd of the sheep.
"I am the good Shepherd." (John 10,10)
2. Thou saw'st them wand'ring far from thee,
secure, as if from danger free;
thy love did all their wand'rings trace,
and bring them to "a wealthy place".
3. O guard thy sheep from beasts of prey!
and keep them that they never stray;
cherish the young, sustain the old,
let none be feeble in thy fold.
4. Secure them from the scorching beam,
and lead them to the living stream;
in verdant pastures let them lie,
and watch them with a shepherd's eye.
5. O may thy sheep discern thy voice!
and in its sacred sound rejoice;
from strangers may they ever flee,
and know no other guide but thee.
6. Lord, bring thy sheep that wander yet,
and let the number be complete;
then let thy flock from earth remove,
and occupy the fold above.
Thomas Kelly, Hymns on various passages of Scripture, ca. 1853, Hymn 129.