Christ My Song - 1936
Exalt the name of him who bore
(Thomas Kelly/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
Exalt the name of him who bore.
"His own self bare our sins." (1 Peter 2,24)
2. 'Tis strange, 'tis passing strange, that he
who reigns in heaven above,
should bear our curse upon the tree:
but thus he shows his love.
3. The love that without measure is,
the love of God to man;
no love can be compared to his,
'tis vast, too vast to scan.
4. We praise the name of him who shed
his precious blood to save;
of him who lay among the dead,
lay buried in the grave.
5. Of him who rose again, and lives,
who lives in heaven above;
of him who grace and glory gives,
the God of power and love.
6. Of him who soon from heaven will come,
in power and majesty,
and take his waiting people home,
with him in heaven to be.
Thomas Kelly, Hymns on various passages of Scripture, ca. 1853, Hymn 230.