Christ My Song - 239
God comes; – and who shall stand before his fear?
(Theodore of the Studium/John Mason Neale/
Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
God comes – and who shall stand?
2. Haste, – weep, – be reconciled to him before
the fearful judgment knocketh at the door:
where, in the Judge's eyes,
all bare and naked lies.
3. Have mercy, Lord! have mercy, Lord! I cry,
when with thine angels thou appear'st on high:
and man a doom inherits,
according to his merits.
4. How can I bear thy fearful anger, Lord?
I, that so often have transgressed thy word?
But put my sins away,
and spare me in that day!
5. O miserable soul! return, lament,
ere earthly converse end, and life be spent:
ere, time for sorrow o'er,
the Bridegroom close the door!
6. Yea, I have sinned, as no man sinned beside:
with more than human guilt my soul is dyed;
but spare, and save me here,
before that Day appear!
7. Three Persons in One Essence uncreate,
on whom, both Three and One, our praises wait,
give everlasting light
to them that sing thy might!