Christ My Song - 280
Heal us, Emmanuel, here we are - I am the Lord that Healeth thee (William Cowper/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
Jehovah-Rophi. I am the Lord that Healeth thee.
1. Heal us, Emmanuel, here we are,
waiting to feel thy touch:
deep-wounded souls to thee repair,
and, Saviour, we are such.
2. Our faith is feeble, we confess,
we faintly trust thy word;
but wilt thou pity us the less?
Be that far from thee, Lord!
3. Remember him who once applied,
with trembling, for relief;
"Lord, I believe," with tears he cried,
"oh, help my unbelief!"
4. She too, who touched thee in the press,
and healing virtue stole,
was answered, "Daughter, go in peace,
thy faith hath made thee whole."
5. Concealed amid the gathering throng,
she would have shunned thy view;
and if her faith was firm and strong,
had strong misgivings too.
6. Like her, with hopes and fears we come,
to touch thee, if we may;
oh! send us not despairing home,
send none unhealed away.
3,3: Mark 9,24.
4,3: Mark 5,34.
William Cowper, The Complete Poetical Works of William Cowper, 1853(?), 235.