Christ My Song - 285
My God, how perfect are thy ways! - Jehovah our Righteousness (William Cowper/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
Jehovah our Righteousness.
1. My God, how perfect are thy ways!
but mine polluted are;
sin twines itself about my praise,
and slides into my prayer.
2. When I would speak what thou hast done,
to save me from my sin,
I cannot make thy mercies known,
but self-applause creeps in.
3. Divine desire, that holy flame
thy grace creates in me;
alas! impatience is its name,
when it returns to thee.
4. This heart, a fountain of vile thoughts,
how does it overflow!
while self upon the surface floats,
still bubbling from below.
5. Let others in the gaudy dress
of fancied merit shine;
the Lord shall be my righteousness,
the Lord forever mine.
William Cowper, The Complete Poetical Works of William Cowper, 1853(?), 240.