Christ My Song - 295
O Lord, my best desire fulfil - Submission
(William Cowper/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
1. O Lord, my best desire fulfil,
and help me to resign
life, health and comfort to thy will,
and make thy pleasure mine.
2. Why should I shrink at thy command,
whose love forbids my fears?
Or tremble at the gracious hand
that wipes away my tears?
3. No, let me rather freely yield
what most I prize to thee;
who never hast a good withheld,
or wilt withhold, from me.
4. Thy favour, all my journey through,
thou art engaged to grant;
what else I want, or think I do,
'tis better still to want.
5. Wisdom and mercy guide my way,
shall I resist them both?
A poor blind creature of a day,
and crushed before the moth!
6. But ah! my inward spirit cries,
still bind me to thy sway;
else the next cloud that veils the skies,
drives all these thoughts away.
William Cowper, The Complete Poetical Works of William Cowper, 1853(?), 257-258.