Christ My Song - 306
Far from the world, O Lord, I flee - Retirement
(William Cowper/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
2. The calm retreat, the silent shade,
with prayer and with praise agree;
and seem by thy sweet bounty made
for those who follow thee.
3. There, if thy Spirit touch the soul,
and grace her mean abode,
oh, with what peace, and joy, and love,
she communes with her God!
4. There like the nightingale she pours
her solitary lays;
nor asks a witness of her song,
nor thirsts for human praise.
5. Author and Guardian of my life,
sweet source of light divine,
and (all harmonious names in one)
my Saviour, thou art mine!
6. What thanks I owe thee, and what love,
a boundless, endless store,
shall echo through the realms above
when time shall be no more.
William Cowper, The Complete Poetical Works of William Cowper, 1853(?), 259.