Christ My Song - 433
Food of the soul, eternal bread - Bread enough and to spare
(Horatius Bonar/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
Bread enough and to spare.
"The bread wherewith I have fed you in the wilderness." (Exodus 16,32)
1. Food of the soul, eternal bread,
which whoso eateth never dies;
upon these desert sands spread out,
the hidden manna of the skies.
2. True bread of heaven, and bread of God,
in thee we find eternal store:
to thee in our deep need we come;
give us thyself for evermore.
3. True bread of life, the Father's gift,
to feed the famished sons of earth;
who eateth of thee hungers not,
even in this land of human dearth.
4. Life of the dead, O living Christ!
pour in thy life into our death,
that we, all faint of soul, may know
the power of thine all-quickening breath.
5. Quickened by thee, no death we fear;
sustained by thee, our weakness turns
to strength immortal; touched by thee,
our coldness into fervour burns.
6. Fed at thy table, we are filled;
each day repeats the sweet repast, –
sweeter and sweeter still, for thou
keepest the best unto the last.
Horatius Bonar, The Song of the New Creation, 1872, 98-99.