Christ My Song - 554
Holy Spirit, spring of gladness - To the Holy Spirit
(Horatius Bonar/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
To the Holy Spirit.
Te docente discitur,
2. Into summer turn this winter,
soothe this tempest into calm;
out of wretched dust and ashes
bring the beauty and the balm.
3. Into freedom turn this bondage,
into laughter turn these tears;
give me heavenly health for sickness,
joy and song for sighs and tears.
4. Wake, O north wind, freshly stirring,
blow upon a drooping earth;
come, thou south wind, to my garden,
that the spices may flow forth.
5. Teach us, O thou blessed Teacher!
With thy teaching all is plain;
give the everlasting wisdom,
without which all here is vain.
6. Keep from falsehood, save from folly;
give the real and the true;
pour in truth in days of error,
freshen us with heavenly dew.
7. With the words of peace and comfort
enter each sad heart and home;
with thy balm of consolation,
mighty Comforter, oh come!
8. Are we not thy living temples,
honoured once, and loved so well?
Visit us with sevenfold fulness,
here in all thy glory dwell.
9. Shall the altar-fire be scattered?
Shall the incense cease to burn?
Shall thy temple be forsaken?
Wilt thou not to us return?
Horatius Bonar, The Song of the New Creation, 1872, 119-120.