Christ My Song - 683
To live of thee – blessed source of deepest joy! - Echo of songs in the night (John Nelson Darby/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
Echo of songs in the night.
2. Come, fill my soul! Thy light is ever pure,
and brings from heaven what thou alone canst give,
yea, brings thyself, the revelation sure
of heaven's eternal bliss; in thee we live.
3. I hail thee, Lord! Of thee my songs shall speak –
poor and unworthy strains, yet still of thee;
yes, fill my soul! 'tis this my heart doth seek –
to dwell in love, and God my dwelling be.
4. Thou'st made the Father known; him have we seen
in thy blessed Person – infinite delight!
Yes, it suffices: though we here but glean
some foretaste of his love, till all be light.
5. O, dwell with me; let no distracting thought
intrude to hide from me that heavenly light.
Be thou my strength! Let not what thou hast brought
be chased by idle nature's poor delight.
6. Father, thou lov'st me. Favour, all divine,
rests on my soul, a cloudless favour! There
thy face shines on me, as it still doth shine
on thy blessed Son! His image I shall bear!
7. Bud now, e'en now, thy love can fill my soul –
that love that soars beyond all creature thought –
in spirit bring where endless praises roll,
and fill my longing heart till there I'm brought.
8. Thee will I hail, O Lord, in whose blessed face
God's glory shines unveiled! Thee will I praise,
whose love has brought me nigh in righteous grace,
and soon wilt come, eternal songs to raise!
* * * * *
9. And oh! how deep the peace, when, nature gone,
thy Spirit fills the soul, strengthened with might,
with love divine; and God as Love is known!
Lord, keep my soul, and guide my steps aright.
* * * * *
Praise be for ever his who giveth songs by night!
John Nelson Darby, Spiritual Songs, 47-49.