Christ My Song - 693
And is it so, I shall be like thy Son - The hope of day
(John Nelson Darby/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
The hope of day.
2. O Jesus, Lord, who loved me like to thee?
Fruit of thy work! With thee, too, there to see
thy glory; Lord, while endless ages roll,
myself the prize and travail of thy soul.
3. Yet it must be! Thy love had not its rest
where thy redeemed not with thee fully blessed –
that love that gives not as the world, but shares
all it possesses with its loved co-heirs!
4. Nor I alone; thy loved ones all, complete,
in glory around thee with joy shall meet;
all like thee, for thy glory like the, Lord!
Object supreme of all, by all adored!
5. And yet it must be so! A perfect state,
to meet Christ's perfect love – what we await;
the Spirit's hopes, desires, in us inwrought,
our present joy – with living blessing fraught.
6. The heart is satisfied, can ask no more;
all thought of self is now for ever o'er;
Christ, its unmingled Object, fills the heart
in blessed adoring love – its endless part.
7. Father of mercies, in thy presence bright
all this shall be unfolded in the light;
thy children, all, with joy thy counsels know
fulfilled; patient in hope while here below.
John Nelson Darby, Spiritual Songs, 43-44.