Christ My Song - 809
Wherefore goest thou with me? - A Light to lighten the gentiles
(Frances Bevan/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
A Light to lighten the gentiles.
2 Samuel 15,19-22; John 12,26.
2. "Go, return unto thy place,
to thy king of yore –
here a pilgrim and a stranger,
3. Not for thee the cities fair,
hills of corn and wine –
all was portioned ere thou camest,
nought is thine.
4. Wandering forth where'er I may,
exiled from mine own,
shame, rejection I can grant thee;
5. Turn and take thy brethren back,
with thy people dwell;
I have loved thee, I, the outcast;
fare thee well."
6. Then unto the crownless king
on the Kedron's shore,
all the wilderness before him,
7. "As the Lord lives and the king,
ever lord to me,
where in death or life he dwelleth
I will be."
8. "Go – pass over;" spake the king;
then passed Ittai o'er;
passed into the place of exile
from the shore.
9. He and all his little ones,
granted by that word,
shame, rejection, homeless wandering
with their lord.
10. "Go – pass over;" words of grace,
spoken, Lord, to me,
that, in death or life, where thou art
I might be.
11. Dead and crucified with thee,
passed beyond my doom;
sin and law for ever silenced
in thy tomb.
12. Passed beyond the mighty curse,
dead, from sin set free;
not for thee earth's joy and music,
not for me.
13. Dead; the sinner past and gone,
not the sin alone;
living, where thou art in glory,
on the throne.
14. Hidden there with Christ in God,
that blessed life I share;
Christ it is who liveth in me –
15. "He who serves me," spake his lips,
"let him follow me,
and where I am shall my servant
16. Follow, where his steps lead on,
through the golden street;
far into the depths of glory
track his feet.
17. Till unto the throne of God,
of the Lamb, I come;
there to share the blessed welcome,
18. There with him whom man rejected
in the light above,
those whom God his Father honours –
such his love.
Frances Bevan, Hymns of Ter Steegen, Suso and others 1, 1899, 126-129.