Christ My Song - 1024
Oh, never can I serve thee here - A Hymn
(Charlotte Elliott/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
2. When at thy mercy-seat I kneel,
and strive indeed to pray,
then most the power of sin I feel,
and Satan's cruel sway.
3. But in that world on which I fix,
by faith, my tearful eyes,
no sin its hateful taint will mix,
to spoil my sacrifice.
4. Nor ever from the blissful hour
I gain that save retreat,
shall any cruel foe have power
to drive me from thy feet.
5. I shall not offer, then, to thee
a cold, divided heart:
all, all thine own my soul will be,
renewed in every part.
6. When shall I bid a long adieu
to scenes of sin and woe;
and "face to face" that Saviour view
I serve so ill below?
7. When with his saints shall I appear,
and worship as I ought, –
without an unbelieving fear,
without a wandering thought?
Charlotte Elliott, Leaves from the Unpublished Journals, Letters, and Poems of Charlotte Elliott, 253-254.