Christ My Song - 108
The chariot! the chariot! its wheels roll on fire - The chariot! the chariot! (Henry Hart Milman/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
The chariot! the chariot!
1. The chariot! the chariot! its wheels roll on fire,
as the Lord cometh down in the pomp of his ire;
self-moving, it drives on its pathway of cloud,
and the heavens with the burden of Godhead are bowed. PDF - Midi
2. The glory! the glory! By myriads are poured
the hosts of the angels to wait on their Lord;
and the glorified saints, and the martyrs are there,
and all who the palm-wreath of victory wear.
3. The trumpet! the trumpet! The dead have all heard.
Lo! the depths of the stone-covered charnels are stirred;
from the sea, from the land, from the south and the north,
the vast generations of man are come forth!
4. The judgment! the judgment! The thrones are all set,
where the Lamb and the white-vested elders are met;
all flesh is at once in the sight of the Lord,
and the doom of eternity hangs on his word!
5. Oh, mercy! oh, mercy! look down from above,
Creator! on us, thy sad children, with love;
when beneath to their darkness the wicked are driven,
may our sanctified souls find a mansion in heaven!
Henry Hart Milman, Philip Schaff, Christ in Song, 1870, 306-307.