Christ My Song - 1307
He comes! the Saviour full of grace
(Thomas Kelly/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
He comes! the Saviour full of grace.
"Behold, he shall come, saith the Lord of hosts." (Malachi 3,1)
2. In him the world no beauty sees,
"no form nor comeliness,"
rejected and despised he is,
and plunged in deep distress.
3. But there's a people taught by grace
to know his matchless worth;
they own him, though accounted base,
and shew his praises forth.
4. They own him as the Lord of all,
their Saviour and their God;
before his feet they prostrate fall,
the purchase of his blood!
5. 'Tis thus the Saviour is received,
the world accounts him vile;
while sinners, by his grace relieved,
can live but by his smile.
6. To him, who bore the sinner's shame,
be endless glory giv'n,
immortal honours crown his name,
the Lord of earth and heav'n.
Thomas Kelly, Hymns on various passages of Scripture, ca. 1853, Hymn 667.