Christ My Song - 1414
We sing to thee, Immanuel (Paul Gerhardt/
Frances Elizabeth Cox/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
We sing to thee, Immanuel.
1. We sing to thee, Immanuel,
the Prince of life, salvation's Well,
the Plant of Heaven, the Star of morn,
the Lord of lords, the Virgin-born.
2. All glory, worship, thanks, and praise,
that thou art come in these our days!
Thou Heavenly Guest expected long,
we hail thee with a joyful song.
3. For thee, since first the world was made,
men's hearts have waited, watched, and prayed;
prophets and patriarchs, year by year,
have longed to see thy light appear.
4. O God! – they prayed – from Zion rise,
and hear thy captive people's cries;
at length, O Lord! salvation bring:
then Jacob shall rejoice and sing.
5. Now thou, by whom the world was made,
art in thy manger-cradle laid;
Maker of all things great, art small,
naked thyself, though clothing all.
6. Thou, who both heaven and earth dost sway,
in strangers' inn art fain to stay;
and though thy power makes angels blessed,
dost seek thy food from human breast.
7. Encouraged thus, our love grows bold
on thee to lay our steadfast hold;
the Cross which thou didst undergo
has vanquished death and healed our woe.
8. Thou art our Head: then, Lord, of thee,
true, living members we will be;
and, in the strength thy grace shall give,
will live as thou wouldst have us live.
9. As each short year goes quickly round,
our Hallelujahs shall resound;
and, when we reckon years no more,
may we in heaven thy Name adore!