Christ My Song - 1550
Lord Jesus Christ, my Life, my Light - In Weakness and Distress of Mind (Martin Behm/Catherine Winkworth/
Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
In Weakness and Distress of Mind.
2. Far off I see my fatherland,
where through thy grace I hope to stand,
but ere I reach that Paradise
a weary way before me lies.
3. My heart sinks at the journey's length,
my wasted flesh has little strength,
only my soul still cries in me,
Lord, fetch me home, take me to thee!
4. Oh let thy sufferings give me power
to meet the last and darkest hour;
thy prayer refresh and comfort me,
thy bonds and fetters set me free!
5. That thirst and bitter draught of thine
help me to bear with patience mine,
thy piercing cry avail my soul,
when floods of anguish o'er me roll!
6. And when my lips grow white and chill,
thy Spirit cry within me still,
and help my soul thy heaven to find,
when these poor eyes grow dark and blind!
7. And when the spirit flies away,
thy parting words shall be my stay,
thy cross the staff whereon I lean,
my couch the grave where thou hast been.
8. Since thou hast died, the Pure, the Just,
I take my homeward way in trust,
the gates of heaven, Lord, open wide,
when here I may no more abide.
9. And when the last great Day is come,
and thou our Judge shalt speak the doom,
let me with joy behold the light,
and set me then upon thy right.
10. Renew this wasted flesh of mine,
that like the sun it there may shine,
among the angels pure and bright,
yea, like thyself in glorious light.
11. Ah then I have my heart's desire,
when singing with the angels' choir,
among the ransomed of thy grace,
for ever I behold thy face!