Christ My Song - 1856
Welcome thou victor in the strife - Monday in Easter Week
(Benjamin Schmolck/Catherine Winkworth/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
Monday in Easter Week.
And they told what things were done in the way,
and how he was known to them in breaking of bread.
And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood
in the midst of them, and saith unto them,
Peace be unto you. (From the Gospel.)
2. Our enemy is put to shame,
his short-lived triumph o'er;
Our God is with us, we exclaim,
We fear our foe no more.
3. The dwellings of the just resound
with songs of victory;
for in their midst, Lord, thou art found,
and bringest peace with thee.
4. O share with us the spoils, we pray,
thou diedst to achieve;
we meet within thy house today
our portion to receive:
5. and let thy conquering banner wave
o'er hearts thou makest free,
and point the path that from the grave
leads heavenward up to thee.
6. We bury all our sin and crime
deep in our Saviour's tomb,
and seek the treasure there, that time
nor change can e'er consume.
7. We die with thee; oh let us live
henceforth to thee aright;
the blessings thou hast died to give,
be daily in our sight.
8. Fearless we lay us in the tomb,
and sleep the night away,
if thou art there to break the gloom,
and call us back to day.
9. Death hurts us not; his power is gone,
and pointless all his darts;
now hath God's favour on us shone,
and joy fills all our hearts.