Christ My Song - 1930
Beloved associates in the strife
(Thomas Kelly/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
Beloved associates in the strife.
"He teacheth my hands to war." (Psalm 18,34)
2. The soldiers of the cross must fight,
till life itself is past;
the foe assails them day and night,
assails them to the last.
3. But let us still remember this,
to faith it stands disclosed,
the Lord, who saves us, greater is
than all who are opposed.
4. We need not fly, we need not fear,
since he who reigns above,
in all our conflicts will be near
the people of his love.
5. Our foes are strong, and many too,
yet why these doubts and fears?
For while we keep the Lord in view,
our strength is more than theirs.
6. If thus we face the adverse powers,
if thus we meet the strife,
the victory will then be ours,
and ours a crown of life.
Thomas Kelly, Hymns on various passages of Scripture, ca. 1853, Hymn 247.