Christ My Song - 1972
Give thanks for all things, children of our God! - In everything give thanks (Meta Heusser-Schweizer/Jane Laurie Borthwick/
Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
"In everything give thanks."
2 Thessalonians 5,18.
1. Give thanks for all things, children of our God!
Thanks for a Father’s smile, a Father’s rod; –
all things are in his hands,
all do as he commands,
all for his people are in love bestowed. PDF - Midi
2. To the pure spirit all things are made pure,
all things are welcome to the humble poor. –
Sad heart, lament no more
in anguish as before;
rest in one love, one hope for ever sure.
3. Almighty, what shall separate from thee?
If thou speak peace, from whence shall trouble be?
Who shall enslave again
if thou unloose the chain,
and with thine own hand set the captive free?
4. Dark clouds and tempest, praise God in the height!
Thunders and lightnings, ye exalt his might!
The fearful midnight hour,
when wildest storms have power,
must it not end in blessed morning light?
5. Deep tribulation, sin, and grief, and care,
conflicts of doubt, and anguish of despair,
death itself – all, his will,
his purposes fulfil,
his instruments, to do or to forbear.
6. Dark night of death, Christ hath illumed thy shade!
Satan, destroyer, thou art captive made,
beneath his feet to bend
what time he shall ascend
the great white throne, for judgment vast arrayed.
7. Sing, children of our God! On thee we call,
Friend of our need, Restorer of our fall!
Thy work is finished now, –
to thee all might must bow, –
Amen! Amen! we can give thanks in all!