Christ My Song - 2109
Praise the Lord, ye heavens above! - The Epiphany
(John S. B. Monsell/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
"God was manifest in the flesh." (1 Timothy 3,16)
2. Spread his glorious praise abroad,
of his loving mercy sing,
sing ye praises to our God!
sing ye praises to our King!
3. Though he in a manger lies,
he is Lord of heaven and earth,
hell before him moved doth rise,
death is trembling at his birth.
4. Guided by his leading Star
to the footstool of your King,
come, ye nations, from afar,
and your hearts as tribute bring.
5. Bring your gold, an offering meet,
all your richest treasures lay,
come and lay them at the feet
of your infant King today.
6. Incense of the loving soul
offer in his poor abode,
let its clouds of perfume roll
round the infant Son of God.
7. Myrrh! the emblem of that Faith,
which, through all his sorrows, can
see the life which springs from death,
offer to the Son of man.
8. He hath rent the parting veil,
he hath made the nations one,
O ye ransomed nations, hail!
come and hail th' Eternal Son!
9. Come with faith serene and sure,
do his will, and tread his ways,
come with hearts uplift and pure,
come with endless songs of praise.
10. His eternal mercies laud,
his eternal praises sing,
sing ye praises to our God,
sing ye praises to our King.
John S. B. Monsell, Hymns of Love and Praise, 1877, 18-20.