Christ My Song - 2170
There is an everlasting home - Latus Salvatoris
(Matthew Bridges/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
2. It was a cleft of matchless love,
opened when he had died,
when mercy hailed in worlds above
that wounded side.
3. Hail! Rock of Ages, pierced for me,
the grave of all my pride;
hope, peace, and heaven are all in thee,
thy sheltering side.
4. There issued forth the double flood,
the sin-atoning tide,
in streams of water and of blood,
from that dear side.
5. There is the only Fount of Bliss,
in joy and sorrow tried;
no refuge for the heart like this, –
a Saviour's side.
6. Thither the Church, through all her days,
points as a faithful guide,
and celebrates with ceaseless praise
that spear-pierced side.
Matthew Bridges, in: Philip Schaff: Christ in Song, 1870, 376.