Christ My Song - 283
Thy mansion is the Christian's heart - The House of Prayer
(William Cowper/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
The House of Prayer.
1. Thy mansion is the Christian's heart,
O Lord, thy dwelling-place secure!
Bid the unruly throng depart,
and leave the consecrated door.
2. Devoted as it is to thee,
a thievish swarm frequents this place;
they steal away my joys from me,
and rob my Saviour of his praise.
3. There, too, a sharp designing trade
sin, Satan and the world maintain;
nor cease to press me, and persuade
to part with ease, and purchase pain.
4. I know them, and I hate their din,
am weary of the bustling crowd;
but while their voice is heard within,
I cannot serve thee as I would.
5. Oh for the joy thy presence gives,
what peace shall reign when thou art here!
Thy presence makes this den of thieves
a calm delightful house of prayer.
6. And if thou make thy temple shine,
yet self-abased, will I adore;
the gold and silver are not mine,
I give thee what was thine before.
William Cowper, The Complete Poetical Works of William Cowper, 1853(?), 243.