Christ My Song - 287
My song shall bless the Lord of all - Jehovah Jesus
(William Cowper/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
1. My song shall bless the Lord of all,
my praise shall climb to his abode;
thee, Saviour, by that name I call,
the great Supreme, the mighty God.
2. Without beginning or decline,
object of faith, and not of sense;
eternal ages saw him shine,
he shines eternal ages hence.
3. As much, when in the manger laid,
almighty ruler of the sky,
as when the six days' works he made
filled all the morning-stars with joy.
4. Of all the crowns Jehovah bears,
salvation is his dearest claim;
that gracious sound well pleased he hears,
and owns Emmanuel for his name.
5. A cheerful confidence I feel,
my well-placed hopes with joy I see;
my bosom glows with heavenly zeal,
to worship him who died for me.
6. As man, he pities my complaint,
his power and truth are all divine;
he will not fail, he cannot faint,
salvation's sure, and must be mine.
William Cowper, The Complete Poetical Works of William Cowper, 1853(?), 248.