Christ My Song - 293
When Hagar found the bottle spent - For the Poor
(William Cowper/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
For the Poor.
1. When Hagar found the bottle spent,
and wept o'er Ishmael,
a message from the Lord was sent
to guide her to a well.
2. Should not Elijah's cake and cruse
convince us at this day,
a gracious God will not refuse
provisions by the way?
3. His saints and servants shall be fed,
the promise is secure;
"Bread shall be given them," he has said,
"their water shall be sure."
4. Repasts far richer they shall prove,
than all earth's dainties are;
'tis sweet to taste a Saviour's love,
though in the meanest fare.
5. To Jesus then your trouble bring,
nor murmur at your lot;
while you are poor and he is King,
you shall not be forgot.
1,4: Genesis 21,19.
2,1: 1 Kings 17,14.
3,4: Isaiah 33,16.
William Cowper, The Complete Poetical Works of William Cowper, 1853(?), 262.