Christ My Song - 313
To those who know the Lord I speak - Seeking the beloved (William Cowper/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
Seeking the beloved.
2. Though once a man of grief and shame,
yet now he fills a throne,
and bears the greatest, sweetest name,
that earth or heaven has known.
3. Grace flies before, and love attends
his steps where'er he goes;
though none can see him but his friends,
and they were once his foes.
4. He speaks – obedient to his call,
our warm affections move:
Did he but shine alike on all,
then all alike would love.
5. Then love in every heart would reign,
and war would cease to roar;
and cruel and bloodthirsty men
would thirst for blood no more.
6. Such Jesus is, and such his grace,
Oh, may he shine on you!
And tell him, when you see his face,
I long to see him too.
(6,4: Song of Solomon 5,8.)
William Cowper, in: The Complete Poetical Works of William Cowper, ca. 1853, 251-252.