Christ My Song - 391
Behold the glories of the Lamb - A new song to the Lamb that was slain (Isaac Watts/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
A new song to the Lamb that was slain.
2. Let elders worship at his feet,
the Church adore around,
with vials full of odours sweet,
and harps of sweeter sound.
3. Those are the prayers of the saints,
and these the hymns they raise;
Jesus is kind to our complaints,
he loves to hear our praise.
4. Eternal Father, who shall look
into thy secret will?
Who but the Son should take that book,
and open every seal?
5. He shall fulfil thy great decrees:
the son deserves it well;
lo, in his hand the sovereign keys
of heaven and death and hell!
6. Now to the Lamb, that once was slain,
be endless blessing paid;
salvation, glory, joy, remain
for ever on thy head.
7. Thou hast redeemed our souls with blood,
hast set the prisoners free,
hast made us kings and priests to God,
and we shall reign with thee.
8. The worlds of nature and of grace
are put beneath thy power;
then shorten these delaying days,
and bring the promised hour.
Isaac Watts, Hymns and Spiritual Songs, Book 1, Hymn 1;
and in: Schaff, Philip: Christ in Song, 1870, 271.