Christ My Song - 407
I thought upon my sins, and I was sad - Christ our peace (Horatius Bonar/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
Christ our peace.
2. I thought upon the law, the fiery law,
holy, and just, and good in its decree;
I looked to Jesus, and in him I saw
that law fulfilled, its curse endured for me.
3. I thought I saw an angry frowning God
sitting as Judge upon the great white throne;
my soul was overwhelmed, — then Jesus showed
his gracious face, and all my dread was gone.
4. I saw my sad estate, condemned to die,
then terror seized my heart, and dark despair;
but when to Calvary I turned my eye,
I saw the cross, and read forgiveness there.
5. I saw that I was lost, far gone astray,
no hope of safe return there seemed to be;
but then I heard that Jesus was the way,
a new and living way prepared for me.
6. Then in that way, so free, so safe, so sure,
sprinkled all o'er with reconciling blood,
will I abide, and never wander more,
walking along in fellowship with God.
Horatius Bonar, Songs of Love and Joy 2.