Christ My Song - 445
Sure the record; Christ has come! - These are the true sayings of God (Horatius Bonar/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
These are the true sayings of God.
2. Sure the record; Christ has died,
bearing on the cross our sin;
is not this the gate of life?
Son of Adam, enter in!
3. Sure the record; Christ is risen,
he hath broken every chain:
silent stands the empty tomb,
never to be filled again.
4. Sure the promise; Christ will come,
though the promise lingers still:
heavy seems the wing of time,
weary with the weight of ill.
5. Signs are mustering everywhere,
and the world is growing old;
love is low and faith is dull,
truth and right are bought and sold!
6. Then when men are heedless grown,
and the virgins slumber all,
when iniquity abounds,
then he cometh, Judge of all!
7. Cometh he to raise his own,
wipe the tear from every eye;
cometh he to right the wrong,
trodden truth to lift on high.
8. To dethrone the lie of lies,
each dark falsehood to destroy;
to begin the age of light,
earth's long sighed-for Sabbath-joy.
Horatius Bonar, Song of the New Creation, 1872, 75-76.