Christ My Song - 508
He came a leper, all unclean and foul - As many as Touched Him
(Horatius Bonar/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
As many as Touched Him.
1. He came a leper, all unclean and foul;
he left as fresh as freshest infancy:
so come I to thy feet, unclean in soul;
so leave I, Lord, cleansed and restored by thee.
2. "Lord, if thou willest, thou canst make me clean!"
He knew the power, – the love he did not know.
That power he sought, nor pleaded he in vain;
the love he knew not came in fullest flow.
3. Both power and love are in thee plenteous still;
as full for me as they were once for him.
Still, Lord, I hear thee saying now, "I will;"
let not my ear be dull, my eye be dim.
4. I touch thee, and am cured! No touch of mine
can render thee impure, whatever be
the foulness of the hand that touches thine:
thee it defiles not, yet it cleanses me.
5. I touch thee, and the electric current flows;
my touch has all thy skill and power revealed:
Thee I infect not with my sins or woes,
and yet by touching thee my soul is healed.
6. It gives to thee my sickness, and to me
imparts thy health; my evil thou dost bear,
and I thy good; all my iniquity
from me thou takest, I thy beauty wear.
7. That touch to me is paradise restored;
it is to me the very gate of heaven:
thou art my health, my happiness, O Lord;
in thee I stand, delivered and forgiven.
8. Give to my being heavenly strength and youth;
make all the powers of this my healèd soul
inlets of light, of holiness, and truth:
thy love has healed me, and I shall be whole.
Horatius Bonar, Hymns of Faith and Hope III, 1878, 45-46.