Christ My Song - 542
What greater blessedness can be - The life of faith
(Carl Johann Philipp Spitta/Richard Massie/
Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
The life of faith.
2. The thought that thou art ever nigh
inspires us with delight;
we seem to see thee with the eye,
and live as in thy sight.
3. What though our lips oft silent be,
the heart doth always pray,
and grateful thoughts rise up to thee,
O Lord, both night and day.
4. We may with thee hold converse sweet,
when all around is still,
and come before thy mercy-seat,
as often as we will.
5. Like children at thy feet we play,
and should we come to grief,
we fly to thee to wipe away
our tears, and grant relief.
6. When we are weary, our kind God
prepares for us a bed,
and covers with a cool green sod
his sleeping children's head.
7. There in the deep still night we lie,
until the morning break,
and we shall hear the Saviour's cry:
"Awake from sleep, awake."
8. What then shall be, to our dim ken
a mystery doth seem;
we know that we shall be like men
awakened from a dream.