Christ My Song - 674
O thou Redeemer of our race - Advent hymn
(Ambrose of Milan/Ray Palmer/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
"Veni Redemptor gentium."
2. 'Twas by no mortal will or aid,
but by the Holy Spirit's might,
that flesh the Word of God was made,
a babe yet waiting for the light.
3. Spotless remains the Virgin's name,
although the Holy Child she bears;
and virtue's banners round her flame,
while God a temple so prepares.
4. As if from honour's royal hall,
comes forth at length the Mighty One,
whom Son of God and Man they call,
eager his destined course to run.
5. Forth from the Father's bosom sent,
to him returned, he claimed his own;
down to the realms of death he went,
then rose to share the eternal throne.
6. An equal at the Father's side,
thou wear'st the trophy of thy flesh;
in thee our nature shall abide
in strength complete, in beauty fresh.
7. With light Divine thy manger streams,
that kindles darkness into day;
dimmed by no night henceforth, its beams
shine through all time with changeless ray.