Christ My Song - 774
We thank thee, Lord, for weary days - Companionship
(Frances Bevan/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
2. Days when beneath the desert sun,
along the toilsome road,
o'er roughest ways we walked with One,
that One the Son of God.
3. We thank thee for that rest in him
the weary only know –
the perfect, wondrous sympathy
we needs must learn below:
4. the sweet companionship of One
who once the desert trod;
the glorious fellowship with One
upon the throne of God;
5. the joy no desolation here
can reach, or cloud, or dim –
the present Lord, the living God,
and we a l o n e with him.
6. We know him as we could not know
through Heaven's golden years;
we there shall see his glorious Face,
but Mary saw his tears.
7. The touch that heals the broken heart
is never felt above;
his Angels know his blessedness,
his way-worn saints his love.
8. When in the glory and the rest
we joyfully adore,
remembering the desert way
we yet shall praise him more.
9. Remembering how, amidst our toil,
our conflict, and our sin,
he brought the water for our thirst
it cost his blood to win.
10. And now in perfect peace we go
along the way he trod,
still learning from all need below
depths of the heart of God.
Frances Bevan, Hymns of Ter Steegen, Suso and others 1, 1899, 81-82.