Christ My Song - 814
Rich, our God, art thou in mercy - Brought nigh
(Frances Bevan/Johannes Thomas Rüegg)
"Riches of his grace." (Ephesians 1,7)
"Riches of his glory." (Ephesians 3,16)
2. Blessed path of grace that led us
from the depths of death
to the fair eternal mansions
quickened by thy breath.
3. Riches of thy grace have brought us
there, in Christ, to thee;
riches of thy glory make us
thy delight to be.
4. Not alone the stream that cleansed us
flowed from Jesus dead,
tides of glory now are flowing
from our living Head.
5. Down to us from Christ in Heaven
those bright rivers run –
in his lowest saint and feeblest,
God beholds his Son.
6. He with deep delight is tracing
every feature fair
of his Son, his well-belovèd,
throned beside him there.
7. And those lines of glorious beauty
here his eye can see,
back to God in light reflected,
Christ revealed in me.
8. Gazing on the cloudless glory
of the Lord we love,
where unveiled he fills with radiance
those bright courts above,
9. day by day a change is passing
o'er each lifted brow,
soon to shine like Christ in glory,
though so dimly now.
10. Evermore that light transforms us
in the Father's sight,
not his love alone our portion,
but his full delight.
11. Not because of guilt, but glory,
doth his love provide
that fair robe so well beseeming
Christ's unspotted Bride.
12. Fair amidst his new creation
formed from Christ alone,
God in us his Son beholding,
rests, the work is done.
13. Wondrous riches of the glory
won in shame and blood,
and form heaven outpoured in fulness,
endless love of God.
Frances Bevan, Hymns of Ter Steegen and others 2, 1899, 44-46.